Thursday, February 4, 2010

For you, Jack

Dear Jack,
You are a wonderful dog. You became my roommate in November of 2002. It was the day of the Auburn/Alabama game, and I made Amy come to Columbus to help take care of you. I was living in the "shoe box" and I'd been on YL staff for just a few months. You were an absolutely insane puppy but we stuck it out.

Then we met Jeremy. You instantly loved him. I knew you were happy about our marriage and new living arrangement because he regularly began taking you for runs and played with you every day after work. You missed living with Max but you sure took to Jeremy.

Then we got Diane, the cat. She was a good distraction since Jeremy left for Iraq just two days later. You didn't pay much attention to her at first but now you're good friends. It's fun watching you chase her.

And now we have sweet Claire. She cried a lot when we brought her home and we pay an awful lot of attention to her. Now she pulls your hair and ears and tends to hit you. She suddenly loves to crawl all over you too. I know she annoys you but you will soon love her. Yes, we tend to neglect you now. We can't take you on walks as often and we can't pet you constantly, but we try to still snuggle with you, take you for walks/runs when we can, and give you treats. I know you're coming around a little bit more now that Claire shares her food with you.

We've been through a lot, Jack, and I love you. You're the greatest dog ever!

Love,
Katy

P.S. Can someone read this to Jack? Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. I'll never forget the day you got him! He definitely is one of the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me just jump in here a moment and weigh in on Jack. This dog is about as close as I could get to letting a wolf in the house around my daughter. It blows my mind that this animal, this CARNIVORE, runs around the inside of my house and plays with my defenseless baby. Yet I trust him completely. Part of me believes that this is because of the great harm my dog knows I would visit upon him if he ever displayed aggression towards my daughter, but the greater part of me knows that he is a real loving part of the family and would risk death to protect my little one and my wife. He has always been a patient and loving friend, no matter the circumstance.

    Jack, I love you buddy, I love the way you care for the whole family, and I promise to take you for runs more often, you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete