Thursday, May 20, 2010

Sacred

Caedmon's Call makes my heart happy.

This band has been my favorite since college. I fell in love my freshman year and I STILL listen to them on a regular basis. It grounds me. Reminds me why I believe what I do and just makes me happy.

I couldn't even begin to tell you all the memories associated with them. Some of my favorites are:
1. Singing "Daring Daylight Escape" very loudly, in a car, with Cami, Rachel, Jen, and LAJ... or some variation of those girls on multiple occasions.
2. Listening to the Long Line of Leavers CD over and over again
3. How much I've always loved the song "Somewhere North of Here"
4. "Prepare Ye the Way" being sung at Rodger and Angela's wedding

And the list goes on....

These days there is a song that I have come to claim for this stage of my life. It's called "Sacred" and I love it.

Claire is 14 months old and I think that it has taken me all 14 months for me to feel like I've come into my own as a Mom. No, I don't have it figured out- I know I never will. Yes, she changes on a DAILY basis. I think I'm just overwhelmingly grateful for being a mom and having the job that I do. I love that I get to be with my daughter and have a job that is amazing. Maybe the "coming into my own part" has to do with the combination of everything together right now, and not just the mom part!

Being a mom is hard, and doesn't have a paycheck, but I'm thankful every day that it's one of the hats I wear. It's hard for me to view it as a job. I often don't think about my actual job as a counselor as a JOB either; it's just another role I have. One of the pieces of the puzzle that's me. I think coming to the realization that all of these things are just ME, and not compartments of me, has made me better at all of them. I hope that makes sense.

I digress.

I feel like this song so describes this stage of life for any Mom with young kiddos. It makes me happy, gives me relief (uh HELLO first line), and makes me so very thankful.

I hope that if you're a mom, it is an encouragement to you.

"Sacred" by Caedmon's Call
this house is a good mess
it’s the proof of life
no way would I trade jobs
but it don’t pay overtime

I’ll get to the laundry
I don’t know when
I’m saying a prayer tonight
cause tomorrow it starts again

could it be that everything is sacred?
and all this time
everything I’ve dreamed of
has been right before my eyes

the children are sleeping
but they’re running through my mind
the sun makes them happy
and the music makes them unwind

my cup runneth over
and I worry about the stain
teach me to run to You
like they run to me for every little thing

when I forget to drink from you
I can feel the banks harden
Lord, make me like a stream
to feed the garden

wake up, little sleeper
the Lord, God Almighty
made your Mama keeper
so rise and shine,rise and shine
rise and shine cause

everything is sacred
and all this time
everything I’ve dreamed of
has been right before my eyes

3 comments:

  1. Great post babe! Very vulnerable, especially since it's so "cool" for Christians to dislike Christian music. It's a reminder of what a wonderful wife I have. Have I publicly confessed my love for you recently? You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two things:
    1. I love you too.
    2. I never claimed to be "cool". :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so glad someone still listens to old school christian music! : ) daring daylight escape is on my 'running mix' right now...

    ReplyDelete